Military and Overseas Voting


This is an official notice of general election to be conducted in the Commonwealth of Virginia on November 5, 2019. If you are an absent military or  overseas citizen eligible to vote in state and local elections, you may register to vote and submit  an absentee ballot application electronically for  a specific election or any elections up through the next year using the  Department of Elections voter registration portal.  Please note that a driver’s license or  identification card issued by the Virginia DMV is required to complete the process paperless.  If you do not have  a DMV-issued ID, you may also apply by using the federal postcard application  (FPCA), available at You can submit your FPCA by scanned email attachment to or via fax to (703) 257-0080. Detailed instructions  are provided in the Virginia Voting Assistance Guide. FPCA’s are valid for all  elections in the calendar year in which they are submitted and must be renewed  annually.                

 If you do not receive your state ballot in time, you may vote using a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB), available at You can identify all of the state,  local offices and, if applicable, ballot measures that, as of this date, are  expected to be on the ballot by visiting the Candidate Lists and visit Elections Citizen Portal to view your voter registration status.

Important information

What is UOCAVA?

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act is commonly referred to as UOCAVA. UOCAVA citizens are U.S. citizens who are active members of the Uniformed Services, the Merchant Marine, the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, their eligible family members and other U.S. citizens residing outside the United States. The law provides the legal basis for absentee voting requirements for federal offices.

What is the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)?

The FPCA (federal form SF 76) allows UOCAVA citizens to register to vote and request an absentee ballot. This form is also used to update your contact information.

What is the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB)?

The FWAB (federal form SF 186) serves as an emergency backup ballot for UOCAVA citizens. If you do not receive your absentee ballot from your State in time to return it to your election official to participate in the election, use the FWAB.   

 About FVAP

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) works to ensure Service members, their eligible family members and overseas citizens are aware of their right to vote and have the tools and resources to successfully do so - from anywhere in the world.
Please go to Federal Voting Assistance Program Website fro more information.